West Acton Sewer Information
The West Acton Sewer Continuation Project is a continuation of the sewer program started in 1945. Since 2002, the Town has owned and operated a public sewer system which currently serves South Acton, Kelly's Corner and the AB High School Campus. As part of the approval from the state to build the system, the Town was required to plan for future areas to continue the sewer project. West Acton was identified as a high-need, future area to connect to sewer.
An investment was made in 2002 to not only provide sewer to the existing sewer area, but to provide additional capacity for these future areas. Future areas to connect were identified in a Comprehensive Water Resource Management Plan (CWRMP) which identified areas town-wide where septic systems were potentially either environmentally or economically not viable. The report was required and approved by the Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection in 2006. The Town has been making progress on meeting the goals of the CWRMP since.
West Acton Sewers has been a goal of the Board of Selectmen (2014-16), a goal of the Acton 2020 Master Plan and a priority of the CWRMP. In 2017 the Selectmen formed the West Acton Sewer Action Advisory Committee (WASAAC) to study feasibility of sewering West Acton
Current Project Status
The Town is seeking approval for funding a preliminary design & feasibility study for the West Acton project area at the 2019 Annual Town Meeting. The preliminary design will provide an engineered sewer design and cost estimate for sewers in West Acton. This information will be used to study feasibility of the project.
Next Steps & Timeline
After approval of the preliminary design funds, it is anticipated that the preliminary design will be completed within one year. WASAAC will continue their public outreach and study of feasibility of the project prior to making a recommendation to the Board of Selectmen. Final design and construction funds would be required at a future town meeting to approve the project. Final design & construction is anticipated to take 2-3 years.
- April 2019 Annual Town Meeting: Preliminary Design Funds
- December 2019 Special Town Meeting or April 2020 Annual Town Meeting: Final Design & Construction Funds
- Construction 2-3 years after approval of construction funds (2020-2023)
Why West Acton?
- Third highest ranked priority area identified by CWRMP:
- "The majority of lots...due to the proximity of Middle Fort Pond Brook [are limited for] onsite wastewater systems due to wetlands and high groundwater"
- "..over 50% of the developed parcels [in West Acton] are classified as [limited septic] parcels. This is the second greatest percentage in the identified Needs Areas"
- Sewers may provide option for new school building
- Sewers are vital for Economic Sustainability:
- CWRMP: "[West Acton] is targeted for economic growth"
- Acton 2020 Goals: "Consider extension of sewer...in West Acton...to serve...commercial area...and high priority neighborhood identified in the [CWRMP]"
- "..sewer is exactly the critical piece of infrastructure West Acton needs to sustain the expanding village economy. It will support the walkable and lively town center that the residents of our community say they want" - Mathias Rosenfeld, West Acton Villageworks Owner
- West Acton Sewer Action Advisory Committee & E-mail
- Conceptual Project Area Map
- Frequently Asked Questions & General Project Information
- Estimated Sewer Costs vs Septic System Replacement Costs
- Sewer Project Presentation & Additional Information
- Comprehensive Water Resource Management Plan (CWRMP)