We hope that many of you are planning to come to our Special Town Meeting scheduled for this coming Monday, December 3rd at the Acton-Boxborough Regional High School. I am planning for and anticipating a large crowd (similar to what occurred last December). The Town has been working hard to make adjustments to smooth the check-in process and to assist arriving voters to find parking. However, in order to make this process as efficient as possible I wanted to encourage voters to plan to come early so that you have plenty of time to park, check-in, and locate a seat.
Check-in will begin at 5:30 pm, and the meeting is scheduled to begin at 7 pm.
Warrants were mailed to every household, and you can find more information on the Town website here: http://www.actonma.gov/townmeeting. In addition to the Warrant are a map to assist with parking, language translations of the article summaries and the presentations that will be used at Town Meeting. I look forward to seeing everyone at the Special Town Meeting on Monday.
Peter K. Ashton
Special Town Meeting Resources
- 2018 Special Town Meeting Warrant
- 镇政府通知摘要 (简体中文)
- Resúmenes de los artículos de la orden (Español)
- Súmulas dos Artigos do Empenho (Português do Brasil
- Docushare Collection including Presentations, Parking Map, and other resources
Town Meeting Information
Acton Town Moderator
The Moderator is elected by ballot at the Annual Town Election for a one-year term, and is responsible for presiding over Annual Town Meeting, Special Town Meetings, and other meetings that he or she is requested to officiate at to ensure that order is maintained. The Moderator is responsible for regulating proceedings, deciding all questions of order, and making public declaration of all votes. As Moderator, my goal is to conduct the Town Meeting in a fair, yet expeditious manner, allowing all points of view a fair hearing while still keeping the process moving.
The powers and duties of the presiding officer, not especially provided for by state law (see below), or by Town bylaws, shall be determined by the rules and practices contained in the most recent edition of Town Meeting Time, so far as they are adapted to the conditions and powers of the town.
The Town Moderator also appoints the members of the Finance Committee and the representative to the Minuteman Regional Vocational Technical School Committee.
Massachusetts General Laws / Chapter 39: Moderators
- Powers and Duties - Section 15
- Powers of Moderator; Preservation of Order - Section 17
- Duties of Moderators; Reception of Votes - Section 18
Links to other pertinent documents:
- A Guide to Acton’s Town Meeting
- Moderator’s Rules and Parliamentary Procedure for Town Meeting
- Moderator’s Guidelines and Helpful Tips for Powerpoint Presentations at Acton town Meeting
- League of Women Voters – “Making Town Meeting Work Better” December 11, 2008
- Town Meeting Warrant and Procedure
- Parliamentary Procedure
- Budget Information
- Map of High School and Parking
- Town Charter
- Town By-Law
- Zoning Bylaws
- Zoning Map
- Annual Town Reports
- Glossary of Terms Commonly Used in Municipal Finance
Past Town Meetings
Town Meeting Warrants
Most Recent Warrant | View All
Town Meeting Abstracts
Most Recent Abstract | View All | AG Approvals